To the editor:
The Marshall-Lyon County Public Library Foundation Board encourages everyone to drive by our new facility on Saratoga and C Street. Construction continues and is expected to be completed in September. Please take some time to consider:
Top 10 reasons to love your new library!
10) Parking. The current library has very limited parking on a busy street. The new library has ample parking and a drive-up drop off box.
9) Improved technology. The library is the only computer access for many people. Many tasks are done online now (ie job searches, government services, documents/forms) so this need will only increase. Our new facility will offer improved and increased access, staff support for software programs, and a special space for small groups to connect their own computers to a large screen for group viewing.
8) Accessibility. The new library is all on one floor so there is no elevator to maintain. It will be much easier for parents to keep track of their young childrenwho are very important patrons of the library!! Also, restrooms will be much more accessible for those with wheelchairs.
7) Community meeting space. Local organizations will be able to utilize a room that will comfortably accommodate 120 people even outside regular library hours.
6) Expanded book collection. The current shelving arrangement is crowded and limits the size of our print collection.
5) Expanded programming and services for teens and small children. This will be especially true with the completion of Phase II/Children's Wing.
4) There will be a place to showcase our local history, authors, and artists. We are currently looking for ways to do this. Please contact the library with ideas/donations.
3) Future needs met. What other city/county service is available to toddlers, to teens, to seniors every day (except holidays) and serves more than 500 people daily. Library use is up - 40,000 more visits per year in 2009 compared to 2000!
2) Librarians are needed to help us navigate that super information highway. Whether our library needs involve traditional print material or digital content, librarians have the expertise to facilitate our research needs as well as suggesting a good book to curl up with. A hallmark of a democratic nation is for its citizens to have free access to ideas and information, and libraries and their staff provide this.
1) The library is the best place to fall in love with reading. Parents, teachers, schools all have a huge impact on developing a child's ability to read and learn, but they can't do what a library can. Our library lends the best children's print and audio books, provides year-round programming with read aloud story times, puppet shows, special guests, and parent resources.
They take these resources out to more than 22 daycares in Lyon County as well as serving more than seven senior and special needs centers in the community. Our new library is not just an amenity; it is a STAPLE in facilitating literacy and academic achievement.
No matter when you begin, the library can enrich your life.
Stay tuned for information about Phase II/Children's Wing fundraising soon!
Marshall-Lyon County Public Library Foundation Board Members:
Al Kruse, library foundation board president
Lori Vikesland Obler
Kathleen Ashe, library board president
Holly Martin Huffman, library director
Lu Anderson, library staff