MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A University of Minnesota graduate student injured in a science lab explosion is home from the hospital.
Thirty-six-year-old Walter Partlo was admitted to Hennepin County Medical Center on Tuesday with burns and cuts suffered when a chemical compound mixture exploded.
Partlo tells the Star Tribune (http://strib.mn/1lN9eqx ) he was working in a lab in Smith Hall, conducting a "fairly routine procedure." He says he went to check the mixture — which was being heated in a glass tube — when it exploded and knocked him back several feet.
Partlo says he had surgery to remove glass from his arm and leg.
The Minneapolis Fire Department, university police, Hennepin County sheriff's deputies and a hazardous-materials response team responded to the explosion. The building was evacuated and later reopened that night.
Information from: Star Tribune, http://www.startribune.com