In just six matches, the Marshall girls' tennis team has matched last season's win total.
Thanks to wins in singles play by Julia Hartmann, Brooke Louwagie and Jenna Gannot, the Tigers snuck by Yellow Medicine East for a 4-3 victory Tuesday in Granite Falls, bumping Marshall's record to 3-3 on the year.
Seeing the court as a singles competitor for the first time this season, Louwagie got her first victory of the year, beating the Sting's Danielle Clark 6-1, 6-4.
"It's nice to see the team all back together again," said Marshall head coach Holly Knudson. "And everyone's glad to have Brooke back."
Hartmann continued her solid play at the No. 1 singles spot, beating Jordan Glad 6-2, 6-1, while Gannot defeated Rachel Christensen 6-2, 6-1 in No. 3 singles.
In doubles, YME made up some ground, starting with a 6-3, 6-2 win by Jordan Trotter and Britanna Raddatz over Marshall's Maddie Schoephoerster and Maggie Roy. Sandy Bartels and Anna Posch also got a Sting victory, clinching the No. 3 doubles match 6-1, 6-4 against Rachel Landmark and Melise Baumgarn.
But luckily for the Tigers, the No. 2 duo of Brittany Soupir and Annie Samuelson survived a three-set match with Allie Trudel and Keaunna Hammer to win 6-4, 6-7 (5-7), 6-2.
"Those two have just been working on getting their feet moving and continuing to move forward, getting to the net and being aggressive." Knudson said.
Now 3-3 on the season, Marshall gets a much-needed day of practice before opening Southwest Conference play Thursday at Pipestone.
1. Julia Hartmann (M) def. Jordan Glad 6-2, 6-1
2. Brooke Louwagie (M) def. Danielle Clark 6-1, 6-4.
3. Jenna Gannot (M) def. Rachel Christensen 6-2, 6-1
4. Leah Gluth (YME) def. Anja Baumgarn 6-1, 6-1
1. Jordan Trotter/Britanna Raddatz (YME) def. Maddie Schoephoerster/Maggie Roy 6-3, 6-2
2. Brittany Soupir/Annie Samuelson (M) def. Allie Trudel/Keaunna Hammer 6-4, 6-7 (5-7), 6-2
3. Anna Posch/Sandy Bartels (YME) def. Rachel Landmark/Melise Baumgarn 6-1, 6-4