The Marshall tennis team surpassed its win total from 2011 in just its seventh match of 2012 by beating Pipestone Area 6-1 Tuesday in the Tigers' Southwest Conference opener in Pipestone.
The victory moves the Tigers to 4-3 overall.
The Tigers won all four singles matches, with Julia Hartmann, Brooke Louwagie and Jenna Gannott sweeping each of their matches. Anja Baumgarn got Marshall a win at No. 4 singles by defeating Nicole Scotting 3-6, 6-2, 6-0.
The Tigers' No. 1 doubles team of Maggie Roy and Maddie Schoephoerster had one of the more thrilling wins of the afternoon as they defeated Tiffany Woelber and Laura Rudie 4-6, 6-3, 7-5.
"Maggie and Maddie did a good job of staying with it after they lost that first set," Marshall assistant coach Erik Hall said. "Every game was really close and they just hung in there. It was a good won against a tough opponent.
Marshall's No. 3 doubles team of Rachel Landmark and Crista Schultze didn't have to stress much about their match as they won 6-1, 6-2 over Pipestone's Taylor Sysavath and Sarah Woelber.
The Tigers' lone loss came at No. 2 doubles, where Pipestone Area's Tessa Lueck and Ashley Griebel defeated Brittany Soupir and Annie Samuelson 4-6, 6-2, 6-4.
Hall said Marshall's 6-1 win showed the overall strength of the Tigers' squad this season.
"Our team is pretty solid from top to bottom and we're really excited and just going to keep working at it, try not to get complacent," he said.
The Tigers will try to keep rolling Saturday when they host Montevideo, Morris Area and Worthington at an invitational in Marshall for their first home competition of the year. The Tigers had a home dual against Sleepy Eye Aug. 23, but it was rained out before the matches were completed.
Marshall 6, Pipestone 1
1. Julia Hartmann (MAR) def. Veronica Johnson 6-2, 6-2
2. Brooke Louwagie (MAR) def. Taylor Carson 6-0, 6-2
3. Jenna Gannott (MAR) def. Natalie Scotting 7-5, 6-1
4. Anja Baumgarn (MAR) def. Nicole Scotting 3-6, 6-2, 6-0
1. Maggie Roy/Maddie Schoephoerster (MAR) def. Tiffany Woelber/Laura Rudie 4-6, 6-3, 7-5
2. Tessa Lueck/Ashley Griebel (PIPE) def. Brittany Soupir/Annie Samuelson 4-6, 6-2, 6-4
3. Rachel Landmark/Crista Schultze (MAR) def. Taylor Sysavath/Sarah Woelber 6-1, 6-2