Looking for a bit of revenge in Worthington on Thursday, the Marshall girls' tennis team defeated the Trojans 6-1 after having lost to same opponent last Saturday.
The Tigers were without their No. 2 and No. 3 singles players (Brooke Louwagie and Jenna Gannott) on Saturday when the Trojans pulled out a 5-2 victory. Both Marshall players were at a band competition.
With Louwagie and Gannott back, the Tigers turned the tables on the Trojans and had all six of their wins come in straight sets.
"We were at full strength and the girls played a lot better today," Marshall head coach Holly Knudson said. "And their players didn't look quite as focused. They have homecoming week and some of them might have had their minds on other things."
Marshall's top three singles players (Julia Hartmann, Louwagie and Gannott) didn't lose more than three games in any set. Anja Baumgarn, the Tigers' No. 4 singles player, defeated Worthington's Laura Wetering 6-4, 6-1.
"I really liked the way Julia, Brooke and Jenna took care of business today," Knudson said. "Anja played really well, too. She had been struggling a bit and we've been trying to work with her on her confidence. It was good to see her have that tight first set and come back and take over the second set."
The Tigers also got wins in straight sets from the No. 1 doubles team of Maggie Roy and Maddie Schoephoerster, and the No. 2 team of Annie Samuelson and Brittany Soupir.
The Trojans only win came at No. 3 doubles, where Makensie Carstensen and Sarah Janssen defeated Rachel Landmark and Crista Schultz 7-5, 6-2.
The win moves Marshall to 5-7 overall and 2-1 in Southwest Conference competition. The Tigers take the court again Tuesday when they host SWC opponent Redwood Valley.
Marshall 6, Worthington 1
1. Julia Hartmann (MAR) def. Kate Lesnar 6-2, 6-2
2. Brooke Louwagie (MAR) def. Emily Williamson 6-1, 6-0
3. Jenna Gannott (MAR) def. Kirsten Aljets 6-3, 6-3
4. Anja Baumgarn (MAR) def. Laura Wetering 6-4, 6-1
1. Maggie Roy/Maddie Schoephoerster (MAR) def. Annie Lesnar/Brianna Kempema 6-3, 6-3
2. Annie Samuelson/Brittany Soupir (MAR) def. Elizabeth Luke/Rachel Drietz 6-2, 6-2
3. Makensie Carstensen/Sarah Janssen (WOR) def. Rachel Landmark/Crista Schultze 7-5, 6-2