Ransomware attack hits casino, Lower Sioux Community
MORTON — Over the past week, a cybersecurity incident affecting the Lower Sioux Indian Community has put slot machines out of service at Jackpot Junction Casino Hotel, and affected communications for community health care, early childhood education, tribal government offices.
“We are currently addressing a ransomware event. We immediately took steps to contain the activity, including taking certain systems offline,” the Lower Sioux Government Center posted on Facebook Wednesday. “Some of our guest services are impacted, but we are working to return to normal operations as quickly and as securely as possible.”
On Thursday, the Lower Sioux Government Center posted that Lower Sioux government offices would be closing at noon, “as part of our ongoing response to the cybersecurity incident.”
Technical issues at Jackpot Junction and Lower Sioux business phones were being reported late last week. On March 28, the Lower Sioux Government Center posted on Facebook that business phones were down. As of Thursday, a message on the Jackpot Junction website said slot machines and kiosks were still unavailable, and bingo was canceled until further notice.
A criminal group named RansomHub claimed an attack on the casino on Monday, the Minnesota Star Tribune reported. RansomHub is a group likely based in Russia, that has claimed hundreds of victims since February 2024, the Star Tribune reported.
Casinos around the country have been the focus of cybersecurity attacks. A 2023 data breach at MGM Resorts in Las Vegas was one high-profile example. In February, a ransomware attack also hit tribal casinos in Michigan.
The cybersecurity incident at the Lower Sioux Community didn’t only affect Jackpot Junction. The Lower Sioux Health Care Center posted on Facebook that some of their communications systems were taken offline while the Lower Sioux Community worked to address the incident. A letter from the Lower Sioux Health Care Center that was posted on Facebook Wednesday said tribal phones, fax machines and emails were all taken offline.
“The Tribe is working with third party experts to address the incident, with the goal of returning to normal operations as quickly and as safely as possible,” the letter said.
On Monday, the Lower Sioux Community’s Head Start program, C̣aƞṡayapi Waḳaƞyeża Owayawa Oṭi, posted that it would be using a different phone number to communicate with parents.
In spite of the cyberattack, some services were still going at Jackpot Junction. The casino’s website said its table games and bar would remain open, the message said. A concert featuring the Oak Ridge Boys and Phil Vassar also went on as planned at the casino Saturday night.